What is Medicaid?

Medicaid is for low-income parents, children, seniors, and people with disabilities. There are different types of Medicaid insurance plans. The type of plan that is right for you or your family depends on how much money your family earns and other benefits that they get.

If you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you are automatically covered for North Carolina Medicaid. You do not need to apply for Medicaid.

To receive Medicaid you must also:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or provide proof of eligible immigration status.
  • Live in North Carolina and provide proof.
  • Have a Social Security number or have applied for one.

You can apply at the Department of Social Services (DSS) in the county where you live. 

If you are unable to visit a DSS office you can:

  • print and mail a completed application to your local DSS office.
  • call a DSS office and ask to have an application mailed to you.

Some health centers and hospitals have applications and might be able to help you fill them out.

Important Numbers for the Departments of Social Services in Anson, Mecklenburg and Union counties:

Anson County:

118 N. Washington Street
Wadesboro, NC 28170
(704) 694-9351

Mecklenburg County:

301 Billingsley Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28211
(704) 336-3000

3205 Freedom Drive
Charlotte, NC 28208
(704) 336-3000

Union County:

1212 West Roosevelt Blvd.
Monroe, NC 28110

Items to Bring