Medicaid For Your Child
There are different types of Medicaid insurance plans for children. The type of plan that is right for your child depends on how much money your family earns and other benefits that your child gets.
Programs for Children
Health Check and Health Choice
Health Check (Medicaid) and NC Health Choice are free or low-cost health insurance plans for children and teens who qualify.
Health Check is North Carolina’s Medicaid program for children. NC Health Choice is health insurance for children of working families who don’t qualify for Health Check and cannot afford private insurance.
Health Check vs. Health Choice
- As children age they can cross over from Health Check to Health Choice
- Families often have children in different programs
- As a families’ income changes, children can go back and forth between programs.
Health Check (NC Medicaid)
Both Plans Require
- North Carolina Residency
- 19 years old or younger
- Eligible family income
- Social security number
- Proof of US citizenship
- Annual re-enrollment (in some case)
Health Choice (Cannot qualify for Health Check and cannot afford private insurance)
- Ages 6 to 19
- Does not qualify for Health Check due to income
- Enrollment fee, if required
- Co-pays (office visits, Emergency Room and Prescriptions)
- For a list of covered services click below
How to Apply
Health Choice or Health Check