How to Get Free Medicaid Transportation for your Health Care Visits
- You will need to get approval from the Department of Social Services (DSS) in the county where you live.
- Getting approval is different for each county.
- To start, call the DSS Transportation Department in the county where you live.
- The telephone numbers for DSS Medicaid Transportation in Anson, Mecklenburg and Union Counties are shown below
Know Before You Call
- Rider’s name and social security number
- Date and time of appointment
- Name of the doctor or practice and the doctor’s address and phone number
Medicaid Transportation can be used for:
- Visiting your doctor
- Visiting a behavioral health specialist
- Picking up your medicine at a pharmacy
- Going to a lab for tests
- Other appointments for your health care
DSS Medicaid Transportation Numbers
Anson County: (704) 694-2596
- Will pick up anywhere in Anson County.
- Call to schedule 2 days in advance.
Mecklenburg County: (704) 336-4547
Apply for a bus pass by calling Mecklenburg DSS Medicaid Transportation
- The Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) website can help you to plan your bus route (http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats).
If you have special needs and cannot ride the bus, there is door-to-door service. You will need a doctor’s statement of disability to apply. Please call your CCPGM care manager if you need more information or want to apply.
- Rides must be scheduled 48 hours before your health care visit date.
- Door-to-door services is from 7 AM – 6 PM.
Union County: (704) 283-3713
- Make appointments between 8 AM – 5 PM.
- Appointments must be made 48 hours in advance.
- Trips may be scheduled up to 30 days in advance.
- No pick ups on Mondays.